With the sharp increase in demand for Anti-Wrinkle Injections and Dermal Fillers, one has to wonder why there is such a discrepancy in PRICE for these cosmetic enhancements?
You can ‘compare the pair’ and crunch the numbers and I’m sure many people think they’re getting a great deal when they discover a cheap price somewhere for ‘Injectables’.
Have you ever wondered WHY these cheap prices can even be offered in the first place?
After 23 years in the industry, here at the Sydney Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Clinic, we’ve heard it all. And it’s time that these illegal practices being conducted by some unethical operators are uncovered.
Here are just some of the possible reasons some clinics are able to offer ultra-cheap ‘Injectables’:
- The ‘Injectables’ being offered may be ‘counterfeit’ products of the originals. In many cases they may look the same but they are manufactured in Asia and illegally imported into Australia. These counterfeit products often contain impurities that can cause severe and permanently disfiguring facial complications. In 2013, an article in the Sydney Morning Herald reported that one particular Sydney doctor was allegedly using such products.
- Another common reason for dramatically cheaper prices is the widespread practice of ‘Nurse Injectors’ who either inject in cosmetic clinics or travel around injecting at various Beauty Salons or even in people’s homes! While Nurses are admirable and skilled individuals within their own profession, Nurses do not have the intimate knowledge of facial anatomy that these treatments require. To make matters even worse, many ‘Nurse Injectors’ are ignoring existing laws that require each patient to be properly consulted by a doctor prior to receiving any Anti-Wrinkle Injections or Dermal Filler. In 2014, a Nurse was suspended for administering Anti-Wrinkle Injections to a patient not first seen by the doctor:
Would you risk your face to save a little money?
Wouldn’t you rather have an experienced doctor inject your face?
It’s an important question you must ask yourself and you, as a consumer, need to be aware of the above types of malpractices that exist in this industry so you can then make safer choices. This is your face we’re talking about, not something you want to take a chance with!
For these very reasons, the Sydney Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Clinic is a ‘Doctor Only’ clinic. We do not employ ‘Nurse Injectors’. We are advocates of Patient Safety and always practice under the highest of professional standards.
Some of the other ‘scary things’ we regularly hear about that happen in cheaper-priced clinics include:
- Out-of-date ‘Injectables’ being used on patients which could prove either ineffective or cause a serious infection;
- Syringes being illegally shared between patients with the risk of transmission of infections such as Hepatitis B and C, or HIV;
- Partly-used syringes being stored in the refrigerator until the patient next needs a treatment – another practice with serious potential consequences;
- A clinic may claim to use a more premium ‘Injectable’ but use a cheap or illegal product unbeknown to the patient;
- A clinic may be importing counterfeit products and claiming them to be the ‘real deal’ when they’re not. These products are counterfeit, illegal and potentially very unsafe;
- We’ve also heard that some clinics excessively dilute Anti-Wrinkle Injections and patients are not getting the units they were expecting;
- Unqualified Injectors without an intimate knowledge of facial anatomy have inadvertently injected into blood vessels and caused permanent blindness and necrosis of the lips!
All these reasons should make you think twice when considering WHERE you should be getting your ‘Injectables’ and WHO is going to inject your face.
Again, I go back to one of my favourite analogies – you can’t walk into Chanel expecting to pay $50 for a handbag… you KNOW it’s going to be much, much more. And for good reason – the quality, the name, the prestige…
I’m sure any one of us who’ve travelled to South East Asia has been tempted to buy one of those ‘rip-off’ designer handbags, or any other designer piece for that matter, only to know that it definitely won’t last as long because the quality of the components that make up the cheap bag are nowhere near the standard of what a designer-brand name would actually use!
Now that’s just a bag I’m talking about. Here, we are talking about faces! Not something I’m prepared to risk just to save some money.
If I’m going to do something like this, I’m going to do it properly – OR NOT AT ALL!
And YOU shouldn’t risk it either!